Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

Jasmine, the popular indoor and balcony plant, delights the gardener with many white, strongly scented flowers during its long flowering period. Unfortunately, the plant is poisonous, so care should be taken when children and animals live in the house.

Caution: Jasmine is poisonous!

Jasmine contains many essential oils

The fact that jasmine contains a very high proportion of essential oils can be seen from the scent of the flowers. The fragrances are toxic in high concentrations.

Some people react to the scent with a severe headache. In these cases it is advisable not to keep the plant in the living room, but rather on the terrace in summer and in a frost-free cellar in winter.

If there are small children or animals in the household, it is better not to use the pretty climbing plant. Swallowing parts of the plant can cause symptoms of poisoning.

Even skin contact can cause inflammation

Care should be taken when caring for and especially cutting jasmine. If the plant sap comes into contact with the skin, it can cause skin irritation.

Therefore, always work with gloves when you cut or repot jasmine.

If jasmine has been eaten by children or animals

The consumption of jasmine flowers or jasmine berries is noticeable through various symptoms:

  • a headache
  • nausea
  • Vomit
  • diarrhea
  • tachycardia

If children or animals have accidentally eaten parts of the plant, contact the doctor treating you to be on the safe side.

Jasmine tea is non-toxic

The jasmine tea, which is particularly popular in Asian cuisine, is safe to drink. Here the concentration of toxins is so low that there is no danger.

tips

The name jasmine has Persian origins. Yasmin or Arabic jasamin means "fragrant oil". Fragrance oils have been extracted from the flowers since ancient times, which are also used in aromatherapy in this country.

Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

Category: