Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

The evergreen single leaf (Spathiphyllum) is a popular houseplant. It belongs to the Araceae family and, like all plants belonging to this plant family, is poisonous to both humans and animals. Cats in particular are at risk because they like to nibble on the large, dark green leaves.

Einblatt can lead to severe symptoms of poisoning in cats

The dose makes the poison

The leaves and stems of the plant in particular contain toxic oxalic acid and calcium oxalate. Now there are certainly cats who nibble on the leaflet every now and then and show no symptoms. However, this is not because the animals are immune to the toxins. Instead, they probably just didn't ingest enough of the toxic greens for the substances in question to take effect. As is so often the case, the dose makes the poison - the single leaf is therefore only considered slightly poisonous.

What symptoms indicate poisoning?

However, it's a good idea to put the flyer out of the cat's reach - for example hanging from the ceiling as a hanging basket plant or in a room where the pet has no access (and actually cannot get in!). With a bit of bad luck, the cat can also poison itself considerably from the leaflet. Possible signs of poisoning are

  • Discomfort or trouble swallowing
  • diarrhea and/or vomiting
  • heavy salivation

In more severe poisoning, bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract and kidney damage can also occur. For this reason, if you suspect poisoning, you should immediately consult a veterinarian.

tips

There are a number of equally beautiful but non-toxic houseplants. Give preference to Chamaedorea elegans (mountain palm), Crassula (succulent, money tree), Chlorophytum comosum (spicy lily) or Howea forsteriana (kentia palm).

Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

Category: