Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

In the Black Forest, sorrel juice is valued. In many places, wood sorrel is also used for salads, soups and sauces. But isn't wood sorrel actually poisonous?

Too much wood sorrel is also harmful to pets

Oxalic acid and potassium hydrogen oxalate account for the toxic effect

Wood sorrel is considered slightly toxic due to its high content of oxalic acid and potassium hydrogen oxalate. These active ingredients become particularly dangerous if the wood sorrel is consumed in large quantities when it is fresh. Some of them are rendered harmless when heated.

Most poisonous at flowering time

The toxin content is highest during the flowering period (similar to spinach, rhubarb, beetroot). Anyone who has eaten too much wood sorrel can expect:

  • nausea
  • Vomit
  • diarrhea
  • irregular pulse
  • falling blood pressure
  • circulatory weakness
  • paralysis

tips

Wood sorrel is not only poisonous, but also edible and medicinal. As with many other plants, the dose, harvest time and form of preparation also determine the poisonous or medicinal effect of sorrel.

Help the development of the site, sharing the article with friends!

Category: